Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Week of Firsts



This has really been a week of firsts.  Some good and some not so good.

Let's start with the fun ones...  in an attempt to fill in some low spots around our house, we asked the highway department if they had any dirt left over from any projects and they were happy to deliver a pile to us.  15 TONS of dirt showed up on Monday afternoon.  This was absolutely great, except we only really needed about 3 tons.  The rest of the pile is still sitting there while we look for ways to use it!  My kids wanted to play in the dirt, but we told them that there was glass pieces in it.  So just how did my kids decide to play without actually touching the dirt?  Sled down the dirt pile!  Sleding in June in Ohio- definitely a first!


Now for the not so good first.  I decided late on Tuesday that I wanted to ride my bike.  I headed out at 8pm and got about 6 miles out when my bike swerved on some loose stone and down I went.  I don't really remember much.  I remember knowing that I was going to fall and that I couldn't get unclipped in time.  The next thing I knew, I was laying in the middle of the road.  OUCH!  I was bleeding all over from my elbow and my arm and hand were numb.  I (DUMB DUMB DUMB) forgot to take my cell phone with me that night and I couldn't call my hubby to come get me, so I got back on my bike and carefully pedaled home.  It hurt so much and I don't think I could have been happier to see my house come into view.  My hubby freaked out and got me all cleaned up.  The pictures don't do it justice and it's been 2 days, so it already looks a lot better!  I was worried that I might have broken something because my hand was numb, but by the next day, the numbness wore off and my palm is just really bruised, so I much have hit with the hand first.



And now for the REALLY good- I think!  Tonight was my first ever Open Water Swim!  I joined Team Toledo


and the membership includes the team swim nights at a lake in a park nearby.  They have lifeguards in row boats and the whole team (about 50 people) swim around the lake- about a mile total.



I got in my wetsuit for the FIRST time and I made the whole mile.  What did I learn-  I SUCK at sighting!  I need to work on that.  I'm pretty sure I swam crooked and made my distance longer.  What else did I learn- I'm not really fond on the wetsuit.  The water was not cold.  Everyone else seemed to think it was cold, but it was not cold compared to the swimming pool I've swam in.  I liked the temp of the water and I felt like the wetsuit constricted me.  Though I've read a lot about why having sleeves is a good thing, I think I'd be much happier in a sleeveless suit.  I just did not like the feeling of my arms being all covered.  I like to feel the water when I swim.  I thought I'd be freaked out by the dirty water, but I really wasn't. What DID freak me out??  Seeing the vegetation at the bottom.  I was afraid I'd feel it as I swam over it.  I just dreaded seeing it below me and I was so worried my hands would hit it. UGH!!  Thankfully I didn't actually touch it and I finished without having any OWS meltdowns.



Yay for some good firsts!  My FIRST TRI is in 10 days!! EEK!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment