Saturday, June 22, 2013

WHY?


Why?  Why Half Marathons, someday a marathon, and Triathlons?  So many times I have asked myself this.  Somewhere I read that if you have to ask, you’ll never understand.  So maybe, just maybe I won’t!  However, the more I think and question why, my answers seem to flow.  The main answer is, “Because I can, but never thought I could….until now.”

About 13 years ago I worked as a lifeguard at the city pool in the town I was attending college.  I was overweight, I partied and drank more nights than not, I worked hard, but had no direction in life.  I remember an older (than me) lady who also was a lifeguard.  Carol had to be in her early 40’s and was so fit.  She loved the job because it allowed her to get her tan.  I remember an early morning conversation with her after I saw her come into work after a run.  I asked her how far she had run and her answer was, “10” and I looked at her and said, “minutes?” and I was dead serious.  She responded, “No, 10 miles silly.” 

I really had no idea that a normal person could or would want to run 10 miles at once.  I thought long distances were only something that pros did.  I didn’t realize that city held marathons for average people.  I just always assumed those races happened somewhere the pros lived.  I remember thinking about Carol as superhuman.  She must be.  No one would just go out and run 10 miles for fun. 

Then somehow, 13 years later, I am enjoying runs.  I am a runner.  WOW!  It felt so strange to say that.  I’m also not just a runner, but I am a triathlete.  

So why?  Why do I do these things?  It’s because I can and I’ve finally realized it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment